Re: [SLUG-POL] Another political spectrum test

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 08:01:19 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:
> Another way of looking at this is that if you penalize production, you
> get less of it. It's reasonable to say that, in general, the higher
> one's income, the more s/he produces. Yet tax rates steeply rise with
> income.

The goal of a capitalistic society is to have the poor become middle
class, the middle class to become rich and the rich to become
wealthy. Putting income tax brackets at $20K+ that take away all
investment opportunity not only prevents this, but prevents those
investments from creating new jobs.

> Umm, Bush and Cheney are both considered rich and both paid considerable
> income tax last year (anecdotal evidence). I have heard or read that the
> wealthiest do in fact pay most of the taxes (by percentage of overall
> individual income taxes collected, not going by the tax tables).

Possibly capital gains? Or really income tax?

> I agree with you on the flat tax, but you sidestepped the issue, which
> was the supposed integrity of WSJ. I don't know whether your data are
> correct or not, but Steven brought up a good point or two. Frankly, it
> raises red flags with me when anyone says a press outlet has that much
> "integrity".

First off, articles on taxes and what-not, I'll agree, they can be
"opinionated" (even if I think it is truth) and are *NOT* something
that can be measured in true/false. So his example was *NOT* a good
one at all!

Secondly, those numbers in my previous post were from the
government's own exit polls! All the WSJ did is summarize a few
categories. Heck, they might have just reported what the government
did!

I'll find the list of stats for you and will post them in their
entirety.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413