Re: [SLUG] Mount point does not exist - 2

From: Frank Roberts (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 17:39:25 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:

> [...]
>
> The second parameter is the mount point. If you want to access a device
> like a hard drive on a Linux system, you have to "mount" it somewhere.
> If you just try to read raw data from the device, you'll have a hard
> time. "Mounting" links your device up to the rest of the filesystem and
> makes a place for all the stuff that's on that device. Typically the
> "mount point" is in the /mnt directory tree somewhere, but it doesn't
> have to be. In your case, it's probably /mnt/rwcdrom. For a floppy, it
> would probably be /mnt/floppy. Also _very_ important. You must _create_
> the mount point before you can _use_ it. It's just a directory. Create
> it as root.
>
> The third parameter is typically the type of filesystem on that device.
> You've put "supermount" here, but I have never seen anything like that
> before. Normally a CDROM is "iso9660". A regular hard drive would
> usually be something like "ext2".
>
> The fourth parameter indicates what parameters would be passed to the
> mount command in order to mount this filesystem. You "rw" is probably
> correct, but "fs=iso9660" seems redundant if you have that as the third
> parameter (see above). There are other options possible, like "noauto",
> "user", etc. The fstab and mount man pages describe these.
>
> The last two parameters are probably not important for your system, and
> should both be 0. You've squashed them together, so you ought to
> separate them, as "0 0".
>
> So in the end, you should have something roughly like:
>
> /dev/hdd /mnt/rwcdrom iso9660 noauto,user 0 0
>
> You can test your mounting system for a drive by giving a mount command
> with all the appropriate parameters. That is, you can manually mount it.
> In your case,
>
> mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /mnt/rwcdrom
>
> (I guess /dev/hdd is right for you. I don't know.)
>
> If it won't mount from this command, then it doesn't matter what you put
> in fstab. You need to get this right before you edit fstab. Making the
> mount command work will require that it _is_ an iso9660 filesystem, that
> it is correctly inserted in the drive (not upside down), that the device
> itself exists in the /dev directory, and that the mount point
> (/mnt/rwcdrom) does exist. If any of these things are wrong, it won't
> mount. And if there's nothing on the CDROM, you still won't get
> anything. Try to mount a standard CDROM in your CDRW drive first, since
> that's lowest common denominator.
>
> Once the mount command works, unmount the CDROM ("umount" command). Then
> tweak your fstab. Then attempt to mount the drive again, this time with
>
> mount /mnt/rwcdrom
>
> When you do this, the mount command should read the fstab to determine
> how to mount this drive, since you omitted a great many parameters.
>
> I would strongly suggest you check out the man pages for fstab and
> mount, and use Larry Sanders' fstab edits (posted earlier). If this
> doesn't do it, then I don't know what to tell you.

Paul

I am well aware that my knowledge of Linux is much much less than yours.
I have not been playing with it as long nor did I start with the earlier
versions like you did. But I do have a little bit of knowledge. Not much
but a little bit. Also my procedures are not that bad either.

As you may recall effectively have 3 linux boxes and 1 Win 98 box at the
current moment of time.

The first box you are very familiar with it is the HP one I keep
dragging to the meetings several years ago.

The second and third one are really the same one. You recall the new one
I built with two chard drives in it. One hard drive is a IBM 45 Gbit.
The other is a WD 13 GB. Only one of which is physically connected at
any one time. I disconnect the power feed and the ribbon cable to the
one not in use. The object originally was to use only one but it became
convenient to work on one hd and then the other. That way I would not
destroy what progress I had made in setting the equipment up. Now
originally the WD drive had RH 6.1 on it but I was having so much luck
with the Mandrake on the IBM that I put Mandrake on it two. Currently
both the WD and the IBM drives have exactly the same system installed on
them - well almost.

Mandrake on the IBM was installed with the read only cdrom in the
system; I have yet to get the IBM to acknowledge the second drive but it
acknowledges the dsl line and the internet is no problem.

Mandrake on the WD was installed with both the read only cdrom and the
read/write cdrom installed; the WD acknowledges both cdroms but
regardless of what I do it does acknowledge the dsl line so there is no
internet connection.

Now as far as my postings. After I began to have problems I quit here in
the office and went home where after some time I formulated my battle
plan. The first thing I did was to copy the fstab file from my home
computer.
Copy of file from home computer
# /etc/fstab - home computer
/dev/hda1 /mnt/dos vfat user,noauto,rw
/dev/hda1 / ext2
defaults 1 1
/dev/hdb5 swap swap
defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy vfat
user,noauto 0 0
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660
user,exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdd /mnt/rwcdrom iso9660
user,noauto 0 0
none /proc proc
defaults 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts
gid=5,mode=620 0 0

# /etc/mtab
I did not copy this file and bring it to the office.

I then took a look at the two FStab files and the mtab files here in the
office.
# /etc/fstab - from WD HD
dev/hda5 / ext2 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
/mnt/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom2 0 0
/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda1 swap swap defaults 0 0

# /etcmtab - from WD HD
/dev/hda5 / ext2 rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620 0 0
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount rw,fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
/mnt/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 supermount rw,fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom2 0 0
/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount rw,fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
automount(pid416) /misc autofs rw,fd=5,pgrp=416,minproto=2,maxproto=3 0
0

# /etc/fstab - from IBM HD
/dev/hda1 / ext2
defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts
mode=0620 0 0
/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount
fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount
fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
/mnt/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 supermount
fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom2 0 0
none /proc proc
defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap
defaults 0 0

# /etc/mtab - from IBM HD
/dev/hda1 / ext2 rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620 0 0
/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount rw,fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount rw,fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
automount(pid506) /misc autofs rw,fd=5,pgrp=506,minproto=2,maxproto=3 0
0

Now if you look at these files and my previous post (if you excuse some
slight typing mistakes) you will find that the idea of rwcdrom comes
from the home machine. It worked there so the think went it should work
here in the office.
That did not work.

Although it was not posted in explicit detail I did try the idea of
cdrom2 from the WD hard drive in the IBM drive. The process for this was
simple first I tried to edit the file then I tried copping the file from
the WD drive to a disk and then back into the IBM drive.
That did not work.

I then noticed that I was getting an error message because the mtab and
fstab files were not the same. Observe that in the drives that
acknowledges the rwcdrom and that we have both files from - the WD -
that these files are indeed the same.

I then tried to make them the same in the IBM drive. You will observe
how neatly lined up the fstab files ore for the IBM drive. I did the
mtab files the same and being my usual seld I saved this file as mtab
and mtab-fr. The original was saved as mtab-Original.

After this I tried to access the rwcdrom. No go. So I rebooted the
system. What I then observed was that the IBM mtab files had returned to
the original state. That is there is no line in that file for the
rwcdrom.

What this is telling me is that Mandrake has changes the system somehow
so that there is an automatically generation mtab configuration file.
This kinds or reminds me of SuSE and why I hate SuSE. SuSe being noted
for this. You can never figure out what is happening. There is always
some program automatically changing things to some special configuration
file only an expert can find.

The whole purpose of this exercise though was to down load the latest
Mandrake 8.0 and not buy it. After future consideration I am now of the
opinion that I personally due to both a time and knowledge constraints
would be better of buying the latest version.

Thanks for the help.

Frank