[SLUG] System.map name?

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 22:39:59 EDT

Hey all,

Ya know how when you're compiling a kernel, it "knows" what version it
is, and it creates the System.map and the vmlinux file (aka the actual
kernel)? And then you "make modules" and "make modules_install"? And you
realize that whatever the kernel version, the modules always get put
into a directory of <kernel_version>? What if I wanted to tag a name to
the System.map file and the vmlinux file so that all three match?
Something like <kernel_version>-System.map (or reversed) and
vmlinux-<kernel_version>.

How would I go about this? I mainly want to know since I tend to use
several different kernels from one time to the next, and if I overwrite
the System.map, and my new kernel doesn't work, then the System.map
doesn't match the older kernel...

Thanks!

Russell

I don't care if you're going nowhere,