Re: [SLUG] Win4Lin and M$Office: followup rant

From: Robert Haeckl (rhaeckl@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 02:29:20 EDT

I have heard that Wine works best if you have a box that dual-boots
Linux and Windows. If you don't have windows dual-booted, you need to
set up a directory structure that mirrors what would be on Windows.
Getting Windows to work has involved rewriting many of the DLL's in the
Windows system directory (as well as other things). From what I know,
this is a work in progress and there are still significant bugs. But
maybe it's further along since I last checked the website.

Since I don't dual-boot, it wasn't worth the potential hassle. Win4Lin
was simply a question of "if it works, fine, if it doesn't, forget about
it". And it worked out of the box. Granted, my needs are simple: If I
need to make out a MSWord doc for somebody else, I can. I can also do
that with StarOffice, but it's nice to be able to run it through MSWord
to verify that MSWord likes it before I send it out.