Re: [SLUG] Can't get the cork out of the bottle (wine)

From: Bill Preece (savatage@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 12:37:12 EDT

Which version of Office are you trying to Load?
I doubt you will get 2000 to work with wine.
You could under win4lin or vmware.

Also if it is the new XP office if you look in your wine setting to where is
says
>"Filesystem" = "win95"
Xp will not run under WIN95 or Win95 emulation!!!!!!! So this setting would
not work.

>> > 1. Warning: the temporary directory '/mnt/c/temp' (specified in wine
>> > configuration file) is not writeable.
>>
>> umount /mnt/c;chmod 777 /mnt/c;mount /mnt/c
>>

>I tried this but the permissions are still set as drwxrwxr-x 21 root
root
>for the /mnt/c and all the dirs under it. And when I try to winword.exe
from it's
>directory I get the following.
>bash: ./winword.exe: Permission denied
>

>> > 2. Invalid path 'c:\windows\Profiles\Administrator' for profile
>> > directory: does not exist - I'm not sure what wine is looking for
>> here.
>> > I didn't know windows had a Profiles\Administrator directory.

It does not have a c:\windows\Profiles\Administrator directory unless you
are using 2000 or NT 4.0 sp3 and up.
There is a c:\windows\Profiles\Username\personal

>> vim /etc/wine/wine.conf (if it exists, or) ~/.wine/config
>

>Couldn't find the /etc/wine/wine.conf so changed the one in ~/.wine/config
>> change profile to your profiles folder if it exists,
>> or /mnt/c/windows if it doesn't ..
>>
>> > 3. Warning: could not find wine config [Drive x] entry for current
>> > working directory /home/mchester; starting in windows directory. I
>> have
>>
>> see above to locate wine.conf add an entry with a drive letter for
>> your home directory.
>
>I found the following in the ~/.wine/config
>[Drive F]
>"Path" = "${HOME}"
>"Type" = "network"
>"Label" = "Home"
>"Filesystem" = "win95"
>Is this what you were talking about? Should this be changed to not be
network
>drive or is does it need to be a network drive?

I myself am not sure on this but I would not think it would be considered a
network drive
unless it is a shared drive or directory.