Re: [SLUG]netscape issues

From: Michael F. Richards (mrichard@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 11:33:09 EDT

R.G. Mayhue wrote:

>On Saturday 30 June 2001 07:09 pm, Bill wrote:
>
>>I am using 4.77 ... and have been for quite some time ... without
>>the effect he mentioned. From time to time I visit that weather
>>site with no ill effects. With all due respect, I doubt if the
>>problem is in 4.77 ...
>>

>[snip]
>
>I've been using 4.77 since I installed MDK 8.0 and I have exactly the
>same problem David has and it is definitely [ Java | JavaScript ]
>related. I have had some of the same problems with older builds but
>the situation with 4.77 seems to be much more aggravated. Some sites
>with a lot of JavaScript will lock that puppy up and render it
>useless.
>
>One of three things occur. 1) It takes a hard crash disappearing
>from the screen. 2) It will freeze and enter some kind of infinite
>loop not even bothering to repaint. 3) It will have some sort of a
>mini crash leaving you with an empty white browser screen and/or
>allow you to return to the previous page but the links will turn red
>while you click them but nothing happens.
>
>All three conditions require a restart of Netscape. This is very
>frustrating and I am thinking of installing an older build.
>
>One good thing......Konqueror is shaping up to be a very good
>replacement to Netscape. Once all the bugs are worked out I think it
>will become my browser of choice.

I had the same problems. I went to Sun.com loaded the latest JDK on my
Mandrake 8.0 box changed the symlinks in the Netscape plugins directory
as per the instructions in the JDK. That seemed to fix the netscape
crashes due to poorly writen Java/ Javascript code
( I consider anything that uses M$ propritary code as poorly written).

I know that Sun's Java isn't open source but its free and it works
better than Netscape's Java implementation or Kaffe (the default Java VM
on Mandrake 8.0).

--
Mike Richards
mrichard@tampabay.rr.com