[SLUG] cp, mv, and files that are too big.

From: Norbert Omar Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 23:36:43 EDT

Ok, did I miss something here? I made a (rather massive) backup file of
my computer because of some EXTREMELY nsaty problems I was having with
my system (it was easier to blast it away than to try to fix it. I have
"bigger fish to fry"). I created a .tgz file as back up (the file is
about 3.1gigs - lots of .mp3s, especially old 1/2 hour radio shows). I
stored it on a partition that's about 4.5 gigs (/dev/hdb6, an ext2
drive). I keep trying to move it to my other hard drive (same system,
40gig drive, /dev/hda3, ReiserFS). However, whenever I try to copy or
move the file, at about 2gigs it stops and complains that the file is
too big. Anything I can do about this or did I just loose all that
information? Can I expand the file from one location to another (tar
xvzf source.tgz /home/location/[...])?

Thanks in advance,

Norb