Re: [SLUG] More problems with network cards

From: Scott Piper (piper@ij.net)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 13:14:41 EDT

FIrst, enter lsmod to see which modules you have loaded. It may
be loaded already.

You can look at /proc/pci to see which irq and port your pci
devices are using, but you shouldn't have to mess with it - at
least I dont' think so - aren't PCI devices set up before any ISA
stuff?

I always use modprobe instead of insmod to load modules. I don't
know off hand if insmod will load all of the dependent modules or
not.

In Debian (the newer versions, anyway) the network is configured
using the /etc/network/interfaces file. It should be written out
for you during the install, but if it isn't (I don't know if you
have to have the net card up and running first) it would be a
format such as the following (see man interfaces for more info -
you can do things like set up different ways based on different
situations)

# automatically set up loopback interface on start up
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

#you would usually use one of the two, depending on whether you
have a static ip or use dhcp

# automatically set up eth0 on startup, dhcp
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

#automatically set up eth0 on startup, static ip - replace the
addresses with your requirements
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.23
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.0.0
    broadcast 192.168.0.255
    gateway 192.168.0.1

#if you add a second network card, then do a setion with eth1
instead of eth0

You bring the network up with the command

/etc/init.d/networking start

stop it with

/etc/init.d/networking stop

and restart (stop then start) with