Re: [SLUG] problem with mysql

From: billt (billt@ifelse.org)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 10:33:04 EDT

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 08:29:05AM -0400, Grantham, Patrick wrote:
> I have made a blunder. I changed the root password to a "virgin" install of
> mysql. By that I mean that was the first thing I did after installing from
> the suse distribution disk set. Problem is now the root password is being
> rejected. I tried removing the package via the rpm manager that came with
> suse (yast), then reinstalled the package. no help. it still rejects the
> root password. I need some guidance on how to reset this password. If I
> remove the package, how do I verify the password file is also deleted? If
> there is an easier way to reset the admin password I would be all for it.

The root password is installed in a mysql database. The database
files could be anywhere depending on the whim of the package
maintainer. Mine is /var/db/mysql

inside there should be a mysql folder which holds the database/table
files. That is where mysql stores the password. You can rename that
folder, then run as the mysql user or root mysql_install_db. that will
recreate the mysql database from scratch and you'll have an empty
root password. Probably should shutdown the database server before
running it, too.

If you run mysql_install_db as root, make sure you change the
permissions of the mysql folder back to mysql or the permissions will
be fubar.