[SLUG] Ist of a dozen questions

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 00:26:37 EDT

False administrivia bounce (s*bscr*be)...

----- Forwarded message from slug@lists.nks.net -----

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 00:01:34 -0400
From: Robert Stia <rnr@sanctum.com>
To: slug@nks.net
Subject: Ist of a dozen questions

Hello all of you Slugs !!!

My intro to you in this group. Feel as though I should, as I get a nice
feeling
watching the posts that you are a pretty close knit group. Attended my
first meeting
in New Port Richey this month.

Am new to this list, having discovered Slug just recently. S*bscr*be to
many of
the Linux newsgroups also. Figure that is the best way to learn. Don't
know if you
would call me a newbie or not. I don't know. Started out with DOS and
Win 3.1 many
years ago. Have no formal training and have had to learn the hard way,
The only
computer I had in school was the slide rule.

Been fooling around with Linux for a little over a year now and it has
become
my primary operating system. Started out with RH6 and finally gave up on
it after
running into many many dependency problems as I continually upgraded it
and the
kernel.Toyed with the idea of getting Debian for aptget but finally
decided against
it. Running SuSE 7.1 now with the 2.4.7 kernel. Using KDE 2.1 and Pan as
my
newsreader. Yast is a pretty good feature but can be really annoying at
times.
Needs more development and could be a great tool some day. SuSE is
certainly
different from RedHat.

Now...For my first annoying and insolvable problem.

I can't make SuSE keep the right time on my machine. I can set it with
one of the
time servers and then SuSE will change it. Right in the bios. I have
tried every
possible configuration of UTC, EDT, etc. etc. that I can think of. It
will keep
proper time until I shut down. Next time I boot up....changed....to some
time that
has no rhyme or reason.

Anyone else ever had this problem?? Any ideas ???

TIA, Bob Stia, newest Slug.

----- End forwarded message -----