Re: [SLUG] Flying Saucers -- old news???

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 03:36:46 EDT

R P Herrold wrote:
> anaconda-7.1.95-0.200108282213.src.rpm

Hmmmm, 7.1.95 -- that would be yet a 3rd beta. So maybe Frankie was
on to something?

> which is their installer. One might make some inferences from
> the patch level. Also in Raw Hide are: kdebase-2.2.1-1
> XFree86-4.1.0-3 kernel-2.4.7-10.src.rpm and
> kernel-2.4.9-0.15.src.rpm

Hmmmm, I wonder what kernel they will ship with? I know the SGI
team is having a heck of a time with 2.4.9+, the VM subsystem seems
to have radically changed once again. XFS is very much tied to the
VM system -- hence why it isn't a simple patch. In retrospect
though, I find the SGI XFS kernels much more stable because of that
-- because they test for months before release, which would include
patching, tweaking and testing the VM subsystem as well.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith     mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer   AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.   http://www.linux-wlan.org