Re: [SLUG] Suse question

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 12:16:15 EDT

Patrick Grantham wrote:
> I have found suse "easiest" to come up to speed on learning how to
> install//admin/use. I am sure there are success stories out there with
> other distros, but none of the others seem to be a comprehensive for the
> newbie.

I like to think of SuSE as Mandrake but far less broken. ;-PPP

The only "downside" to SuSE over Mandrake is that SuSE doesn't keep
its GCC/GLibC in line with RedHat, so you cannot always use RedHat
binary RPMs directly (although RedHat source RPMs will usually
rebuild on SuSE without issues). In retrospect, Mandrake has been
going off and trying to beat RedHat to market (let alone using
version marketing), so it is not completely RedHat binary RPM
compatible anymore either!

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413