Re: [SLUG] Quick question - 3 NICs

From: Doumbeck1@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 07:14:38 EST

like the others have said it can often be difficult to figure it out without
playing around first.

I personally don't like modules, but I have my reason and I am sure people
who like modules have good reasons too. The only things I use as modules are
3rd party drivers that can't be easily compiled directly into the
kernel...i.e. NVidia drivers, they break if you try what seems the proper way.

The interrupts of the NICs shouldn't move around as suggested. When a
computer initializes, it goes through a specified sequence of events. BUT
have said I don't use modules, I am not sure what would happen if you used
modules for drivers for the NICs...being that NICs are almost in constant
use, I can't see the advantage of modules...When the drivers are compiled
into the kernel I can say for sure that the NICs will always be the same...If
not, then linux would not be a very good system to run as a connection device
platform (i.e. bridge, brouter, proxy, firewall,etc)

The ping test will always work, and once you have identified the NIC you
SHOULD label them so you know where they are...They won't move the next time
you boot.

Scot Mc Pherson