Re: [SLUG] what's up with libperl.so ?

From: Paul Braman (aeon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 14:25:20 EST

On Tue, 1 Jan 2002, Bill wrote:

> [bill@a bill]$ vi
> vi: error while loading shared libraries: libperl.so: cannot load
>
> [bill@a bill]$ locate libperl.so
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux/CORE/libperl.so
>
> Okay ... until I get this sorted out, I have no vi and it appears I
> have no Mandrake Update, either. I DON'T wanna bounce the machine ...
> so what's the most direct and painless way of handling this? I've had
> my nose in a text book since 3 a.m. (when I woke up) and that was
> about 10 hours ago. It's 1 pm and my brain is already fried.

There could be several problems.

Check your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to see if there is a path
to libperl.so in there (like PATH for executables).

You can also check the permissions on the file itself. The error "file
does not exist" sometimes means it just can't be opened for one reason or
another.

That's just two things off the top of my head.

Paul Braman
aeon@tampabay.rr.com