Re: [SLUG] Yet another IBM commercial for Linux

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 09:44:40 EST

On your part of "ill-effect":

It is still only the beginning of Linux being promoted on airwaves by anyone
anyway.

As I'm sure you know ads are written to address a particular "public". That
market segment which is most likely to buy your product. As IBM's mainstay is
still business to business this is where they find their public.

All over the world you have people wondering what Linux is. Even home users
will start to wonder if they can/should move up to the well publicized
corporate quality OS they keep hearing about.

In my opinion this is not negative, they may not attract non-corporate
customers with that, but that's OK. First we need to get Linux known anyway.
If IBM can get success with Linux the word will spread.

And I agree with you, seing Linux desktops on RoadRunner ads would be very
cool!

Steve