Re: [SLUG] Telnet and the Internet

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 22:03:30 EST

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Paul M Foster wrote:

> This sounds nifty. And when I finish my post-doctoral thesis on the
> mating habits of positrons in captivity, I'll get right on this.
>
> Umm, I don't suppose that setting all this up is anything resembling a
> _simple_ operation, is it? (Why do I ask these goofy questions?)

I thought it was a straight line. The answers are simple,
anyway: No, and I don't know.

dhcpd.conf can be as few as 20 lines, chopped straight out of
the man page -- I've done it that way when a hard drive
tunnelled in and 300 PC's were off line, with an eager staff
member sittinf in front of each PC, waiting for DHCP
assignment to return;

RH 7.2 provides a graphical DNS builder -- but "real geeks <tm>"
do it at the command line. My config file for two legs off my
firewall runs:

[herrold@router bin]$ wc -l dns.master
    752 dns.master

... but it is full populated, and far beyond what I really
need.

-- Russ Herrold