Re: [SLUG] Thanks for the GUI EMAILS

From: Norb (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 23:04:28 EST

>I recommend, "Running Linux" by Matt Welsh and Lar Kaufman and I
>recommend, "Linux In A Nutshell," which is on sale at Barnes and Noble
>in Sarasota for six bucks. But, I have the first editions of both books
>which may not have all the erudite lore others may have accumulated.
>
>Logan

Ok, I'd agree with you if we were dealing with a simewhat affluent user.
However, dealing with a beginner, IM(ns)HO, the O'reilly books are a bit
too much. Not that they're not great book s - they are - but they
usually are better suited for those who already have a bit of knowledge
and really want to go indept (that, or they're already used to the more
advanced style used by O'Reilly). Frankly, I don't think in this
situation this would be a wise decission.

*Side note - the only O'Reilly book I've ever found to be greatly
explicative at the beginner level was "Learning XML." It explains XML
VERY well to the new user.

In short, O'Reilly books are for those people who are also confortable
reading 'man' pages. Not to say that this is bad, but to the beginner, a
'man' page is about as useful as a generic explanation from a mailing
list. Yeah, it might cover everything, but does it do it in a friendly
manner? Not quite.

"Remember, grasshoppah - birds may fly, but hippos don't follow the
sign-posts of the wind."

Gnorb