Re: [SLUG] Booting from CD with Windows XP

From: robin (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 24 2002 - 07:28:43 EST

>Why am I thinking that Robin might really like the idea of blasting the
>Windows partition into oblivion to fix his problem? :)

That's what I've done in the past, but my wife is now in a Masters
program for Online Education (University of Maryland - the first one of
its kind anywhere), and needs to make some Web sites as part of her
coursework -- and these sites will also support my book sales and
perhaps help us set up some "Build Profits Online" seminars to make a
little side money, so we need Windows around for site usability
verification. Keeping a Windows partition on the new laptop will give us
fairly complete browser coverage, since we already have two Linux-only
computers and an iBook.

I also want to have Windows available as we see Wine improve and do more
Linux.com reviews of Windows software running in Linux with Wine, and
(hopefully) more Linux-native ports of Windows software. We need Windows
around to compare software behavior between Linux native, Windows
native, and Wine.

I will continue to do my day-to-day work with the same old Linux-only HP
laptop with the duct-taped case I use now. I am not a fancy person, and
800Mhz + 256MB RAM is plenty.

- Robin