Re: [SLUG] worth of firewall-in-a-box hubs?

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 11:29:19 EST

>I am a Linux newbie, but have been using a Linksys for a year and a half
>with no problems whatsoever.

The thing is, you can use the "old box as firewall" approach if you
like, but if you have any money at all to spend and/or your time and/or
workspace is limitied, the new generation of little
firewall/router/switch boxes are now well under $100 for the wired
variety, mostly under $200 for wireless ones, and just about all of
them have browser-based admin utilities that work with any OS and take -
0 - skill/learning/time to set up. My first one was a Netgear. A friend
who is a super-admin type (for NASA) turned me on to it. He had a
Linksys one, and it was cool, but when we went to CompUSA the Netgear
one was $10 cheaper so....

- Robin