[SLUG] Invalid Email Addresses

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 18:52:42 EST

I've seen this several times lately, and I'm not sure why. Apparently,
people are setting up email addresses without a TLD extension. That is,
an address that looks like this:

joe@myhouse

Notice no .com, .org., .edu, etc. I'm wondering if it's a byproduct of
people coming off Yahoo, who never figured out how to set up their email
clients properly without Yahoo.

In any case, messages like this will bounce (not make the list) because
they aren't routable. Moreover, I can't notify the person of the
problem, since their email address is invalid. In extreme cases, I have
to poke around the s*bscr*ber list and try to figure out their _real_
address, if I can. Then I either unsub them at that address to get their
attention, or send them a note about the problem.

If your messages are suddenly not making it to the list, and you've
recently made a change to your email setup, you might want to check for
this problem.

Paul