Re: [SLUG] Bandwidth hogs, pay up!

From: Bpreece (bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 01:46:17 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
To: slug@nks.net <slug@nks.net>
Date: Thursday, April 11, 2002 1:05 AM
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Bandwidth hogs, pay up!

> I am a road runner user.
>
>> If Time Warner was giving you full bandwidth with Road Runner you would
>> recieve 10 - 15mb full tilt. Right now best you will get
>> is 756 k down and 256k up.
>

> What determines what full tilt is? Why can't TW set an up and down
speed
>and offer it as a product for sale, ten times that speed isn't the same
thing.

> Don't you think giving us much more bandwidth than they setup as their
>standard will require more band width and equipment than they had planed
>on providing?
>
> Hey look Dsl but Cable is suppose to be faster then DSL oh wait they are
>
>capping the modems.
>

> I don't think it is funny that my chum with Verizon DSL can download
the
>same 10 meg file (of nulls) in 22 seconds, (winblows) while it takes me
>42 seconds (with LINUX). {or so}
>

>> To test your speed you go to the URL called speed only. This is a Bs test
it
>> is on their side of the network and only their customers can use it.
>

> All I ever found is two 10 meg and 50 meg files, on http and ftp
servers,
>anyone can use them, I have timed my chums DSL using them, over the
telephone.

>> There is other sites that my friends whom use Dsl can pound faster then I
>> can. This is things that I think TW should fix.
>

> I agree, they PROMISE to be faster than DSL, this is all I want to see.
>

>> If Road Runner truly has to have a fiber optic serviceable area to be
>> available in then why should there be a band width issue? Any one know
how
>> fast data can go over fiber optics?
>

> If one fiber optic channel could pass every piece of intelligent
>communication taking place on all of earth at once, what do you
>think the equipment that must be used to stack all of these channels
>at higher and higher frequencies cost? The lower more common frequencies
>are cheap, as you go up, costs go up sharply.
>
>> How ever I bet if you test someone's
>> bandwidth that has AOL's Cable they will smoke OLE Road Runner why you
ask
>> because AOL own Time Warner they do not Own Road Runner so they say. So
they
>> want to make you switch.
>

> How can AOL get faster speeds than RR from the same equipment? <--- It's
not the same equipment for all of it.

    How you ask because each provider among Time Warner Cable be it Road
Runner , Earthlink and
AOL cable use different modems so they can cap each differently that is how!
So then they throtle the bandwidth.
Because they use proprietary stuff!

>> If they would support (non proprietary DOCSIS) <I should have said
      then let you use your own modem it would reduce
>> their cost for Equipment maintenance. Thus making it cheaper.
>> How ever they say if then they did this that when a storm hits if
Lightning
>> hits your modem then you would be sol other wise gee they really care?
NOT!

> I don't think I know what DOCSIS is, please enlighten us.

http://www.gi.com/noflash/docsis.html

DOCSIS cable modems are software upgradable during initialization or on
command from the network operator via an SNMP command. A TFTP file transfer
of the new software image is used. Care is taken in the design of the
upgrade process so that it can fail at any point without leaving the CM in
an unusable state. The CM makes several checks of the new file to ensure
that it is intended for that particular make and model of the CM, since
several different makes and models of CM may be operating on a single
network. There is an MD5 checksum on the new code image which is used to
ensure that it has not been corrupted in transmission.

check this config file for a proprietary docsis modem.

* This is an exmaple configuration file for the DOCSIS configuration file
 * encoder. It is not exhaustive. Currently it supports only Integer,
 * IP address and String for SNMP settings. Adding more types is quite
 * trivial.
 */

Main { /* this is a comment */
DownstreamFrequency 123000000;
UpstreamChannelId 1;
/* this is a comment */
NetworkAccess 1;
ClassOfService { <----- THE PROVIDER
 ClassID 1;
 MaxRateDown 512000; <--- hey look 512k
 MaxRateUp 64000; <----- hey look 64k upload
 PriorityUp 3 ;
 GuaranteedUp 32000; <----- Wow rip off
 MaxBurstUp 54314; <----- regulated!
 PrivacyEnable 1; <---- Big Brother !
}

BaselinePrivacy { /* ONLY if PrivacyEnable == 1 ! */
        AuthTimeout 10;
        ReAuthTimeout 10;
        AuthGraceTime 600;
        OperTimeout 10;
        ReKeyTimeout 10;
        TEKGraceTime 600;
        AuthRejectTimeout 9;

> I am afraid I would not purchase a $100 modem unless it had a 100% `any
>reason' replacement warranty. $5/mo. is a small price to pay to have
>unlimited maintenance, for the worst place to put a piece of hardware.
>(between an aluminum cable going 30 feet above the street, and my houses
>power ground, it's like paying for insurance)

Yes but they can cap their own modems because they are proprietary!

You pay for the speed and unlimited ! So they are breaking there own legal
disclaimer at will.

Remeber at first up to 100 times faster then dial up ? Now then they say 50
yeah right!

Try 5 times! Oh wait that is dsl speed. Not to mention Raised rates.