Re: [SLUG] Linux friendly DSL providers

From: bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Sun May 19 2002 - 13:01:35 EDT

The Direct TV Dsl is very slow if you are running any ftp's and uploads.
Uploads are only usually 56k. Also if you have bad weather you are not going
to get much
for service. You also usually have to sign a contract of at least 1 year
according to three different people I chat with on MIRC.

 *As compared with a 28.8K modem. DIRECTV DSL™ speeds vary by location. <-
You would think that ISP's would not use a 28.8k connection to gauage their
speeds from these days. Road Runner also uses a 28.8 k gauage to scale by.

Although you may qualify for DIRECTV DSL™ online, it may take up to 30 to 40
days to confirm eligibility.

UNIX

Workstation running any UNIX operating system
TCP/IP connectivity
Ethernet port
Ethernet software with DHCP capability
MS Internet Explorer 4.x/ Netscape Navigator 4.X or later

I would suguesst if you can get DSL Rapid System so far sounds like the best
bet.

Next best bet would be Earthlink!