Re: [SLUG] Listing of Packages.

From: John Danielson, II (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 16:20:26 EDT

keith.kepner@us.pwcglobal.com wrote:

>How can I get a listing (with description) of each of the packages
>available during the installation of RedHat 7.2 and 7.3? That's all the
>packages that are on the distribution CDs - but there must be a master list
>with description in an easily printable/readable listing. Any thoughts?

>The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
>which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged
>material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
>taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
>entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received
>this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
>computer.

I think the CD3 doc set has a file of those, in BOTH cases. Is possible
to get an ls command to redir into a file, also, and recursively build a
tree with output inot a text file. With a fast box, 5-8 min of
processing time max to do this for all three CDs.

Lessee....

Login to a console, either SU or a user with rights to read from CD and
write to where you want your output.

If the CD-ROM automounts, simply CD mnt/CDROM (if it is named CDROM)
then:
ls -aR > /tmp/cd#dir.txt (where you will do this for each CD and
increment # by one each time with an integer) (R is recursive flag, a
gets you hiddens also)

When all CDS processed,
lp tmp/cd*dir.txt and dump to printer-- maybe 1500 lines for the sum
total, so you might want to preprocess in emacs and make it tighter output.

I did it this way so you have a list by CD#, and you can header the file
names as labels, or even dump the date as a header.

By the way, please do not redir info emacs to a text file, the known
output exceeds 500 pages with the dev options loaded for emacs....

John.

--
Registered Linux User #276212, Machine #158988
"Use what works best for your needs, at minimum total cost of ownership."