Re: [SLUG] Need some guidance

From: Chuck Hast (kp4djt@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 22:38:11 EDT

On Monday 01 July 2002 22:07 L, you wrote:

> That will work, you can also leave it alone and use scp top copy it over to
> your new box. Assuming you are talking about your user dir. Otherwise I'd
> build the new box from scratch and then add the user dir.

Yes, or I may leave the home directory in there and pull all the needed stuff
out leaving the rest there. I really will probably pull all out and totally
format the drive again.

> Just beware, I've read a number of complaints about instability. See
> mailinglist. It should import it though.

OK I will check it out, amoung other things I am going to try to build
up a machine that "looks" like a windows box so I can try to get it
into the office as a desktop and show them we do not have to give
the Microsoft Vampire so much money to do day to day things.

> Nah, will be fine. A 486 can fill a T1. Keep X off it though, It needs a
> lot of RAM and CPU. Plus it's to easy to leave a security hole. Why 40G on
> the server though? Sounds like you could do well on a 4G drive. RAM is more
> important than disk space, and you have 256 so it will probably be just
> fine.

I do not plan to run X on it, may use it every once in a while, but I set up
all my machines to come up in command line THEN if I want X I start it up
for the duration of the time I am at the console. I will do more stuff with
WebAdmin than X for that sort of thing.

> Install Tripwire and Snort then have syslog (-h) log to another box too.
> Don't leave any ports open, or services running, that are not absolutely
> needed. (Your best bet for a firewall is OpenBSD. In a class of it's
> own...)

The firewall is a separate box, right now it is a LinkSys box, but I have a
bunch of old boxes at work that are probably going out to the dumpster,
so I will probably grab one and put coyote or trinux on it and try that.

--
Chuck Hast
KP4DJT