Re: [SLUG] Computers and SLUG-Sarasota

From: bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 20:22:19 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Manchester <mchester@pobox.com>
To: slug@nks.net <slug@nks.net>
Date: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 7:42 PM
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Computers and SLUG-Sarasota

>Bill;
>What's Operation Paycheck? My contract is up the end of August.
>Mike M.

Ok here we go.

Operation was created in the State of Florida by our Governor Jeb Busch.
It is basically for anyone who was Laid of after Sept 11th due to the 9-11
tragedy
or due to Companies loosing so much they had to cut staff. Or if you were
self employed and had to
close your business. This allows you to go to the unemployment Office and
File and Basically you
will have to go and talk to a Councilor and then see if you qualify.

If you qualify you will sit through a Presentation and here from
Representatives from a few Schools such as.
USF, HCC and Truck Masters etc., They will hand you a List that will have a
few things you will have to do.
Next you will have to choose from the many things on the list. These will be
Cisco, Linux but they do not tell you if it is
Red Hat or SAIR, M.C.S.E., M.O.U.S. and Medical , and other Jobs such as
EMT, Welding and Truck Driving.

You have one PICK and ONE PICK only. The State Pays up to $4,500.00 now use
to be higher. How ever some schools
make the price for this available to get in. Now you have 6 Months! and you
can not change it once you start that is it.
This is to make sure you have a trade to keep employed.

Now you will have to take a Test as well as part of the State requirement is
a simply a Basic Math, Reading, Grammar and
Misc. knowledge. Very boring but the state wants this.

You pay nothing and do not have to pay back anything either.

The State requires you to Turn in a report every 15th of each month and you
have to have a 80% attendance or they will kick you out of it.

Now you can still get Training even if you find a job they do not take it
away from you. Once you are in you are in. It does not cut into your
UN-Employment either. : )

For more information www.operationpaycheck.com

I will say this I appreciate Jeb Busch doing this as this would be way to
expensive other wise to take.