[SLUG] SAMB wants password but guest ok = yes - that's just not cricket

From: Clay, John (John.Clay@lfr.com)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 16:41:40 EDT

My simple samba file is:

[global}
        workgroup = LFRG-TLH
        netbios name = HUMPHRY
        guest ok = yes

[test]
        path = palmdata
        read only = no
        guest ok = yes

When I try to access HUMPHRY from my NT-SP6a box I am confronted with a
login dialog requesting username and password. I'm sure this isn't supposed
to happen - I should get access without any credentials.

If, again from my NT-SP6a box, I then enter a root level username and
password then I get access. That's not right either 'cause I have commented
out the encrypt password = yes line.

If I do the same from a different NT-SP6a box I get rejected. Seems to me
that that's the only correct operation so far except that if I add the
encrypt password = yes line I still get rejected.

Can anyone shed some light this?? I'm baffled.

Puzzled Pengin in the Panhandle

John Clay
Tallahassee