Re: [SLUG] Apache troubles

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 14:09:32 EDT

On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 13:36, Brother Timothy wrote:
> I'm trying to set up an Apache server for the first time and things are not going well.
>
> I had the initial page going yesterday, then I loaded the software I want to use with the program. Now I can't get anything but this error message whenever I try to access the server.
>
> "can't access startfile"

Is something else bound to port 80? Or the port you have apache bound to
(Listen parameter in the httpd.conf)?

    $ netstat -nl | grep 80
    # You should see something similar to:
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

If you receive a response like the one above, then as a superuser:

    $ netstat -pnl | grep 80
    # this command will show the associated process/application
    # you could kill (-9) this app/process
    $ ps axf|grep <process_name>|grep -v grep|awk '{print $1}' \
      |xargs kill

You could also check to see if a there is a hung apache process bound to
port 80:

    $ ps axf|grep apache|grep -v grep
    # then kill
    $ ps axf|grep apache|grep -v grep|awk '{print $1}'|xargs kill

--
Matt Miller
Systems Administrator