Re: [SLUG] How to join the secret Java Society

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 21:00:22 EDT

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 12:24:05PM -0400, Derek Glidden wrote:

<snip>

> The good thing about Java though, particularly non-GUI Java apps,

Umm, excuse some dumb questions. I've never coded in Java. I only know
that it resembles C++ but does its own garbage collection. And that
browsers can run Java apps if there's a Java runtime and the browser has
Java enabled.

So based on your post, is it true that you can run a Java app outside a
browser? Second question is: how is it that you can have a "non-GUI"
java app? Like one that could run in a curses environment? Or when you
say "non-GUI", you really mean "has to run in X, but doesn't need a
mouse to work"?

Paul