Re: [SLUG] Just set the time

From: Robert Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 02:29:43 EDT

On Monday 19 August 2002 09:17, you wrote:
> > ntpdate 216.139.201.6
> >
> > (assuming your internet connection is up).
> >
> > This sets the OS's time. To sync the CMOS with that, issue:
> >
> > hwclock --systohc
> >
> > You can set this up as a cron job, if you have a consistent internet
> > connection (like DSL).
>
> If you use dialup, you can put this in to the /etc/ppp/ip-up script, so
> that it gets run every time that you successfully connect to the Internet.
>
> --ronan

Many thanks to all of the Sluggers who answered. That did the trick.
Question to you Ronan though, I use a dialup connection and I like
your idea, however, to do the ntp thing you must be root. Will that work
in the ppp script? I never dialup as root.

Thanks, Bob

I guess I could also put it in the chron job and make sure that I am on line
at the time the script would be run.