Re: [SLUG] Exchange Client for Linux Desktop

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 11:07:02 EDT

On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 10:30, Clay, John wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with an Exchange 5.5 client that runs under
> Linux?
>
> I believe that Ximian Evolution is only for Ex 2k (and I didn't like the way
> it hijacked my kde desktop though that may have been pilot error). I'm
> currently using Netscape to access Outlook Web Access but that's a little
> kludgy.

Any mail client that supports imap can be used with Exchange 5.5.
However, the address book, contacts and calendaring functions of Outlook
<--> Exchange won't be supported natively. It is possible to use ldap to
query for user info from the Exchange server to grab e-mail addresses,
phone extensions, etc.
Evolution supports imap and has a built-in ldap frontend to query for
Exchange user info.

--
Matt Miller
Systems Administrator