Re: [SLUG] New Linux Users Group Forming

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 11:11:18 EDT

I bit my tougue, and held off, and did not post the following
at the bottom when I saw the prior post from David Meyer;
The latest
   http://www.crbtechnologies.com/ Linux in the schools
self-promotion, with no mention or 'footnote' of SLUG is
beyond simple bad taste, or an excuse of waiting for timing --
I feel it simply represents taking and using the work of
others and repersenting it as one's own.

In my opinion, that is like academic plagurism; the passing
off of the work of another, as one's own. It is just wrong,
no matter how much 'lipstick is put on that pig'. To sweeten
with the 'possibility' of payment for volunteers' services in
the sweet by-and-by is a backdoor bullcr*p bribe. Does he
think so _little_ of the morality of members of the group?

David -- If you don't want to play fair and square, by the
rules you and everyone else agreed to on the non-commercial
aspects of the SLUG mailing list, please just go somewhere
else like you promised three days ago.

List administrator: David has mentioned receiving a private
counselling Sunday. A second appears to have been made from
the tone of his post this morning. Please take this as my
request under the list rules for issuance of an: "If this
fails to handle the situation, post an email to the list,
citing you and your infraction. This serves as a public
warning where a private one has failed", or as otherwise
appropiate escalation.

My $0.02

-- Russ Herrold

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, David Meyer wrote:

> Today I was corrected for posting a job I found on this list. I did so
> because I know there are several on this list who are without work, and
> could benefit by this. This job was not with my company, nor was it in any
> way a benefit to me.

Interesting, perhaps, but irrelevant. You were wrong; you
have persisted in not observing the rules of this list which
you agreed to when you asked to join the mailing list. See:

  http://www.suncoastlug.org/lists.html#rules

> This has lead to my decision to form a Brandon Linux Users Group, not
> associated with the SLUG group. Frankly, there are too many rules on this
> list.

Will it be oriented toward users of the MicroSoft variant of
Linux?

Wow: HTML dual posting and Highest priority. It must really be
important.

(headers from David's post ...)

Good bye.