RE: e: [SLUG] A New Project!!!!

From: Mark (mark@bish.net)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 11:26:45 EDT

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Todd Robinson wrote:

> 1) to replicate the above experiment and be able to accurately measure
> the distance to the moon to an accuracy of 1ns (.98 ft).
>
> 2) with a round trip delay of 2.68 sec, to encode the beam with data in
> a regenerative loop. Depending on just how fast you can modulate, you
> should be able to attain a storage density of several Gigabytes to
> possibly a Terabyte or more with a mean access of 1.3 sec.

How would you do the data entry into the laser? You have something on the
ground that can output that fast to the laser? Is there anything that can
read a Gigabyte a sec from a disk? I see flaming disks in the future.

> I've got a 60mW Argon laser that might be able to make the trip and I
> have a domain name registered for a project blog 'moonbounce.org'. Need
> a telescope (12" Cassegrain would work well), EO modulators, appropriate
> photo detection, clocking system with nanosecond resolution that can
> count for several seconds without a rollover and a Terabyte of test data
> (anyone have any contacts at the Library of Congress?).

Just pipeline some PICS together and you can get the time resolution you
want. *g*

| Mark Bishop (mark@bish.net) | Computer Engineer |
| 813-253-2197 | Network Engineer |
| http://bish.net | Embedded Programmer |