Re: [SLUG] Partition Opinions

From: Ben Ostrowsky (ostrowb@tblc.org)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 10:29:22 EDT

> What about backups? Rsync to a central backup server. Who uses tapes in
> this day and age? IDE drives are ~$1/G now, and gig ether is down to
> $60/port.

Yeah, but tapes are easy to move offsite in a regular rotation in case
of fire, tornado, or other sudden disasters. Hurricanes are a doddle;
you get hours and hours of notice, if not whole days. A phone call at
3am from the alarm company saying they've called the fire department for
you because there's a fire in the office -- that's when you're glad you
have tapes offsite.

But my mind's not closed on the subject, so speak up and let a thousand
schools of thought blossom.

Ben