Re: [SLUG] Request for Comment on partitions and directories

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 01:05:34 EDT

(from 9/16/02)

   I find you choices very interesting. I still don't understand
the need for separating the fiddle bits into separate partitions,
when directories look and work the same as partitions, except for
file system checks, security reasons and possibly minimizing loss
from crashes, reasons. Using the Reiser fs has pretty much
eliminated the delays from the fs checks. `swap' partitions are
an understandable necessity when memory is insufficient.
   I have no `swap' partitions because I have 1 gig. of DDR ram and I
want the system to use it instead of swapping files out to disk.
I have this much ram so I can edit a cd sized wav file in memory with-
out swapping part of the file to disk. My backups onto CD-Rs from
directories don't seem to suffer from not being in separate partitions.
   I find the `hda1 primary 35 mb ext2 /boot *toggled bootable flag'
to be the the most interesting. Using a one partition Reiser fs on
a 40 gig drive, I have to boot, then after the kernel panic, I press
reset and it boots up fine every time, for two or three weeks then
it boots up on the first try for two or three weeks. GO figure!
   I have used the latest lilo which is supposed to work fine with
the reiser fs, but this bizarre behavior is the best I have been
able to do.
Booting up with the MBR on a ext2 or ext3 fs may eliminate this
nuisance. I keep hoping a newer lilo will overcome this
intermittent initial mis-boot. I would like to find an alternative
to lilo, to see if something else works better. Grub does not work
with the Reiser fs, at my last check.
   Comparing your configuration to my disk usage on hda1, my
40 gig Maxtor, currently 94% used. (the operating system is
mirrored onto a 20 gig Maxtor - hdd1 and file storage) I use
Slack. 8.1 which uses /opt/pgmname to compile PGMS, I do not
"make clean" as a rule. I am 90% LINUX 10 X system & 0% winblows.
   I see one case where I would run out of disk space, and much
space would be locked away from my use in several cases, had I
used your configuration on my hda1. That doesn't make it bad
for your use. You show about 73 gig with 36 gig unexplained
and a ?missing hda5. Thanks for sharing.
   I have:
/mail = 689 meg growing
/home = 995 meg
/root = 2.7 gig very variable
/tmp = 8.6 meg but variable
/var = 43 meg
/usr = 1.9 gig
/x = 27 gig in 42 directories, my sorted storage, tunes and images
/y = hdd1 20 gig
        - - - - - - -
Smitty wrote:

> I have recently built a new box and have partitioned, made file systems on,
> and copied directories to the new drive. This is what it looks like and I
> welcome any and all comments:

> hda1 primary 35 mb ext2 /boot *toggled bootable flag
> hda2 primary 500 mb reiser /
> hda3 primary 1 gb swap swap
> hda4 extended 36 gb
> hda6 logical 15 gb reiser /usr /opt /pack
> hda7 logical 500 mb reiser /var
> hda8 logical 500 mb reiser /tmp
> hda9 logical 19 gb reiser /home
> hda10 logical 500 mb reiser /root

        73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
     100% LINUX, since July, 1997 SENT Time and Date are UTC
        Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm