Re: [SLUG] No response to question

From: Thomas Ringate (tringate@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 00:25:04 EST

> > There must be other GUI driven RPM search tools out there which do sitll
> > work???
>
> Why 'must' there be? I was discusing organizing content and
> mirroring of independent packagers just today with Matthias
> Saou and a couple other independents.
>
> Paper doco; up2date in X; rpmfind or freshmeat in a browser;
> google for the primary source? GnoRPM seemed clunky to me.

I guess it all depends on the approach you are taking to find something.
For instance when I go to the library, sometimes I know exactly what it is I
want, and I am just looking for specific books on that topic. Other times I
just want to browse what is there, with no specific topic or subject in
mind.

gnoRPM used the RPMFIND application when you clicked on WEB FIND, and it
showed all the applications or packages available on the site you pointed it
at. If you were looking for a specific thing, it worked for that, and if
you were just wondering what all was available it also worked for that.

Let's take google, I use it all the time, but I hardly use it to ask "show
me everything for linux". I doubt that search would complete in my
lifetime.

up2date isn't at all what my question is about. That simply updates what I
already have on the system, and has no function, to my knowledge, to tell
you about the hundreds of packages you don't have installed.

The other applications you mention I have not used, but I'm following up on
them now. My question is really fairly simple and isn't that strange I
would not think.

Something did work, and now it does not. If the reason is becuase they have
discontinued that particular application, that's a simple and understandable
explination. I would think there would be some other way to do the same
function, but it isn't at all obvious when looking at the choices available.

I agree that the web find function in gnorpm isn't the fastest or simplest
tool around, but neither is using netscape on RH. I can go have lunch in
the time it takes to launch that bugger. ;-)

I appreciate your comments, and they have given me new ideas to explore.

Tom