[SLUG] "My distro beat up your distro" discussion

From: David Meyer (dmeyer07@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 09:27:20 EST

Good Morning All,

I certainly don't wish to fan the flames, but this discussion has made
me believe all over again that the one thing that will keep Linux from
getting where it needs to be in the desktop market is the fighting back
and forth about distributions, etc.

Now I know that might not be totally accurate, but I am not the only one
on this list who sees this as a problem as others have talked with me
about this very thing.

So, to that end, I am curious to know what some of you out there think
about this. More specifically, what is it that is keeping Linux from
STRONGLY coming out on the desktop market?

We're 99% Microsoft free here (just converting some files now from one
machine) throughout our house. One reason is this list. I have a
replacement for virtually every MS program thanks to many of you.
Surely if we can do it (wife and kids included) others can to. So my
question is what can we do to help people make the change?

Just a thought...

Dave