Re: [SLUG] re: A new idea?

From: John (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 00:10:28 EST

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 21:39:35 -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:

-> There are any number of good ideas like this out there. What
they lack
-> is someone to actually _do_ them. I'm better at managing than
promoting,
-> which is why at one point we had a young fellow whose job it
was to
-> promote SLUG. He moved away, and since then, no one has done
it. We
-> don't necessarily need someone to be our PR person (unless
you just want
-> the job), but if you have a promotional idea and enough
time/guts to
-> carry it out, that would be _really_ helpful.

Paul, a couple of things to note:

First, keep in mind that Michael, who started this thread, had a
larger scale in mind. I'm not sure I agree with him that this
is the way to go, nor do I disagree--I just have no opinion on
it. However, I do have a tendency to think smaller/more local.

Second, one important element in Michael's thinking, I believe,
was to harness the Linux guys who are out of work. Kind of a
win/win for both Linux and these individuals.

In any case, I don't think "promote SLUG" was the goal in his
thinking, nor in mine. It's more a case of: "promote Linux",
and "harness Linux guys who are looking for opportunities". Of
course, the fallout from those two goals will certainly be a
plus for SLUG!

Now, to specifically address your comments: is that PR guy
still available by email, or do you know what kinds of things he
was planning?

I don't want to sound like I'm ducking, but I am so very new to
Linux, it certainly limits what I can do to help. Has SLUG ever
developed a list of "speakers"; ie, people who are willing/able
to speak in front of small groups, and who also have enough
depth of knowledge?

Digressing for a minute--I remember a time, many years back,
when I was working at a company with a great bunch of people.
There came a time when the company was bought up, and we could
see the axe coming, some months in the future. Some of us
started having meetings every couple of weeks over coffee, just
brainstorming ideas for ventures, etc. A lot of interesting
ideas came from that.

It has sounded, on the SLUG list, as if there are people
unemployed, and underemployed, and also people who have a real
taste for startups. Any chance that they might want to meet
from time to time for bull sessions, and/or have a mail list for
discussions? One thing I often wonder about: if one or more
Linux guys wasn't working, is there any way that they could make
some extra money by offered scheduled classes? Don't shoot this
down--all I'm saying is that maybe a sub-group of SLUG might
want to kick these ideas around. Again, these kinds of things
can mesh with local vendors who will find it easier to sell a
Linux box if training is readily available....

Are you getting any feedback about that "helpers" page? Is it
working? Do we need to promote just that particular feature,
perhaps?

As for me, bottom line, if you want somebody to put in a few
hours helping out, I can do that. Participate on a promotion
committee, I can do that. If you need Linux knowledge...no way!
 Check with me next year! If you want a list set up just for
discussion of opportunities (and not Yahoo!), I can do that.

I hope this isn't too off topic for this list. If so, I
apologize. Anybody that wants to email me off list should feel
free to do so.

John