Re: [SLUG] Another A+ question

From: Andrew Wyatt (awyatt@fewt.com)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 09:14:44 EST

On Sat, 2003-02-01 at 08:58, Rock wrote:
> I am installing an ide hard drive in an other wise scsi raid hard drive
> system. There is already an ide cdrom on the cable. I will be
> attaching to the same cable on the primary ide connector. What
> identifier will the hard drive be? hda or hdb. I cannot start the
> computer to see the /dev/cdrom link; of if there is even one.

Depends on it's being a master or a slave.

/dev/hda Primary Master
/dev/hdb Primary Slave
/dev/hdc Secondary Master
/dev/hdd Secondary Slave

Be sure to check your CD-ROM drive's settings so they don't conflict.
You will get all sorts of interesting results if you have two masters on
the same chain. Something else to check for is cable select. You can
determine if you are using cable select by looking for a small hole
along the cable. If you have a cable select cable, make sure you jumper
both your CD-ROM and your HDD as cable select.

--
Andrew Wyatt <awyatt@fewt.com>
FEWT Software - http://www.fewt.com