Re: [SLUG] debian and networking

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 15:24:30 EST

On Monday 10 February 2003 14:22, Mike Manchester wrote:
> I have debian installed and working but for some reason I have to
> restart the networking after I boot my Thinkpad. I've have the eth0 info
> in the /etc/network/interfaces but for some reason I still have to do a
> restart on the network.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas why I have to do that?

Builtin eth0, or pcmcia? If it's PCMCIA, you may need to edit your
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts file - or if you would rather simply use the
existing /etc/network/interfaces setup, consider putting an "ifdown eth0;
ifup eth0" in the start_fn() function there. Otherwise, add an additional
init script to rc2.d to do the same *after* pcmcia has been started.

If the eth0 is builtin, and "ifdown eth0; ifup eth0" fixes it, then I'd
question how the interface is being brought up in the first place.
That is odd.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)