Re: [SLUG] Copy and paste???

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 09:53:28 EST

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 01:54, Mike Manchester wrote:
> Well Frank, I must disagree with you here. I've been off the list for
> two weeks trying to get a Debian install to work on a Desktop machine
> with an Nvidia chip set. Redhat installs and works just fine with this
> machine. But I wrestled with Debian for two weeks and could not get X to
> work. I even tried using a XF86Config-4 from a working Redhat system. I
> tried installing the drivers from Nvidia. But for some reason I couldn't
> compile them as the compiler I was using was not the compiler used to
> compile the Kernel, so the error message said. Go figure!

Did you try compiling your own kernel from source with the included
compiler?

> I have Debian running on my IBM 760XL ThinkPad and Love it I only wish I
> could get it to work on this desktop machine.
> So in some cases the choice for Redhat vs. Debian maybe that Redhat
> works and Debian doesn't.

Are you sure Debian does not work? Or were you unable to find the best
solution?

> I'm a little bitter with Debian at this point. Even using the factory
> specs for Hz and Vert sync and the nv driver I couldn't get Debian to
> work on this machine.

Did you try 'XFree86 -configure' to probe for the most appropriate
hardware and have X write a config file for you?

Debian does not utilize all the auto-hardware identification that
distros like RedHat employ on installation. As a result, Debian requires
user intervention to fine tune things like the X configuration. I have
installed Debian on a variety of different machines and architectures --
some definitely harder than others, but I have yet to find a machine on
which I could not install Debian (Dell, Compaq, HP, IBM, DG, Sun; i386,
SPARC, PPC, etc.).

At a fundamental level, all distros are more similar than different -- a
Linux kernel and a bunch of common libraries and utilities. If you can
install RedHat on your desktop, then you should be able to install
Debian as well.

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -- Jefferson