Re: [SLUG] Filesystems

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 09:59:19 EDT

On Monday 28 April 2003 21:04, Andrew M Hoerter wrote:
> On Mon, 28 April 2003 A.D., Short SrA Christopher wrote:
> > Ext3 will probably be my filesystem of choice due to its maturity and
> > ample amount of support.
>
> Just thought I'd point out that ext3 is far from the most mature journaled
> FS available. SGI's XFS and IBM's JFS are older and better tested. I'm
> not sure whether ReiserFS came before ext3 or not.

I'll agree with Andrew. SGI's XFS is truely the closest to a modern mature
multi-media filesystem. IBM's JFS support in Linux is actually derived from
their OS/2 port of JFS, not from the older pure AIX grandparent version.
ReiserFS did appear before ext3, but it is still *very* young by comparison
with the first two (take one look at the miserable abortion that is
reiserfsck and you'll get an idea).

> Out of all the journaled filesystems available, I'm partial to XFS myself,
> having had long experience with it. SGI's most important customers
> provided the basis for many of the features that XFS has, such as
> guaranteed sustained I/O performance (think writing huge amounts of time
> sensitive video data). And since SGI acquired part of Cray, XFS has found
> its way into HPC environments too. It's well-proven.

We concur here as well. Derek is a big proponent of XFS, as is James. I've had
a minor run-in with a dying RAID array with XFS, but in hindsight I can't
blame XFS for the data loss.

> Not to knock JFS either, it's a perfectly decent filesystem. I'd take
> either XFS or JFS before ext3 or ReiserFS, to be honest. For a workstation
> it probably doesn't matter, but in production... I'm careful about what I
> trust with my data.

My order of trust is currently:

        ext3(w/data=journal) <-- slow, but 100% reliable for me so far.
        XFS <--- fast, and reliable, but no option for data journaling
        ext3(defaults) <-- ok, but we have had inexplicable corruptions.
        reiserfs <--- fast btree, many many corruptions. Learn to love the pain.

I have no reference for JFS yet as I've not used it at all.

As long as you have 100% trust in your kernel not panicing on your hardware,
and a rock-solid UPS, you really don't need data journalling. The speed
penalty is rather severe as well.

> BTW, one feature to look for in a journaled filesystem is the option of
> keeping the log within the filesystem, or on a separate disk. The latter
> is critical for performance, and the former is nice to simplify
> administration. XFS supports both.

ext3 supports both. not that many people ever use this ability.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)