Re: [SLUG] open source virtual cdrom drive?

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylanwh@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 00:09:12 EDT

Okay, my first reply wasn't very helpful.

This is probably not as polished as what you'd like,
but at least it is something, as opposed to nothing. :)

# mount -t iso9660 -o loop=/dev/loop0 ~/path/to/mycd.iso /mnt/cdrom

You need loopback support in your kernel, but that's pretty common,
I think. You also need might need to be root, depends on how mount is
configured on your system, I think.

That command will make available the ~/path/to/mycd.iso
as /mnt/cdrom, just like when you mount files in /dev/.

I'm also not sure if the mounted iso image is writable,
but the above is useful for testing an iso image before burning it
to a CD.

Perhaps someone else knows a good front-end to mounting files on
the loopback device?

It should be trivial to implement a virtual cd rom this way.
Surely, someone has to have already done it, no?

--
Bad men live that they may eat and drink, whereas good men eat and drink
that they may live.