RE: [SLUG] XBox in Sarasota

From: Eric Jahn (eric@ejahn.net)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 17:25:12 EDT

"Hell... it would be nice to have the time to play games!"

...but with linux, the xbox is no longer just a gaming device, but can
do work. check out some of the shots in the July Linux Journal of the
xbox being used in an xbox-based Domino Server at a data center.

For the xbox project, one needs:
1) an xbox $100-150
2) a usb converter $10-15 or a self-made usb adapter (cheaper)
3) a keyboard and a mouse ($25)
4) a ROM modchip $50 (there are other ways, like using a game with an
exploit to get in)

Total: $185-240

I'm willing to sponsor this project for the first xbox we would build,
but I'm hoping that we could then build other such low cost devices
(like a PS2 based linux machine) for demoing linux to others, dropping
one off at community places for web browsing (secured of course) like an
organization in Portland, OR does (freegeek.org), etc..