Re: [SLUG] spyware guard for Linux?

From: bpreece1 (bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 02:43:58 EDT

Basically AdAware and Spybot both filter out and prevent those nasty program
that run in the back ground using your vital resources and bandwidth to send
to companys to track usage and send you spam on stuff you look at on the
web.

Some spyware will open ports up and run in the background and sometime
allows popups and popunder ads to keep running.
Also some hackers can use things like this to exploit security on your pc.

Mostly windows has this issue thus that is what the very two listed are
designed for. Also some of the spyware will also write its self into the
windows registry as well and attach to various programs. How ever programs
such as media player , ie, Microsoft office also them selfs have spybots to
send usage and other information to Microsoft.

With Linux I would check wich programs opens up wich ports and close any
unecessary and use a good firewall or router with the tables set up for your
security and piece of mind.

B. Preece