Re: [SLUG] Linux in Appliances

From: Ed Centanni (ecentan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 14:23:57 EDT

This promotion of Linux by the world's largest consumer electronics
companies and broad rejection of microsoft WinCE is some serious
business. It may be the start of the "next big thing" that could get the
IT industry working again.

The CELF Forum announcement below, combined with the IBM Pervasive
Computing lab mentioned here:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-pvc/

and here:

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/06/27/1822226.shtml?tid=7

are starting me to question whether Linux winning on the desktop is
important or even relevant.

Will a new generation of advanced consumer electronics running Linux
make desktop computers (and microsoft's monopoly) obsolete. What if the
current depressed personal computer market never recovers because people
start buying other kinds of devices instead. It could happen. This isn't
all pie-in-the-sky. Look at the IBM lab URLs.

If the desktop computer becomes as obsolete as the horse and buggy,
shouldn't we be focused on the technology replacing it. In an age of
automobiles, who cares if microsoft owns the buggy whip industry?

A long-running war isn't always decided by the stronger of the
combatants. Sometimes a foe just gets old and dies.

Ed

BTW. "buggy whip" sounds like a good name for a new version of Windows.
  An instrument of pain -- with bugs.