Re: [SLUG] Old computer

From: JamesS (penroses@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jul 06 2003 - 21:01:46 EDT

Without any hardware information it is hard to GUESS at what the problem is.
This sounds like a really old 386, 486, or early pentium puter that has had
Win 95 installed. Many of the old compaq's, Packard Bell's, H-P's to name
just a few had daughter cards for some of the hardware. Many that had only
VGA and not SVGA could only display at most 256 colors. If you can only get
16 colors you need to identify the motherboard or video chipset and find the
drivers for them.If it is a compaq i have a pentium 150 compaq prolinea 5150
that is still running and could possibly copy the drivers from it. This
compaq can only run 256 colors and since i am still running win 3.1 on it
dont need any more. If you dont mind having a limited video card you might
check out the used cards like the trident 1MB PCI video cards at
www.computersurplusoutlet.com . This is a very short card that might fit.

I know you dont want to hear this kind of rant, but you are not doing anyone
any good trying to run very old puters, especially a newbie person. I have
bought dozens of older puters at Bay Area Auctions Services at auctions.
These are usually pent 2-350 or higher puters which you can get for around
$70-$100. Plain Jane, yes, but they still run pretty good and are plenty
good for basic computer beginners. I have a short list of people (10) who
want me to get them one of these puters the next time i go to the auction.

JamesS