Re: [SLUG] Linux VPNd for MS VPN clients

From: Matt Miller (Matt.Miller@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 11:08:17 EDT

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 10:36, Mario Lombardo wrote:
> Anybody have experience with making Linux into a VPN server for Microsoft VPN
> clients? I wanted to get the scoop and any caveats about this. Currently,
> the Linux box runs file services with Samba and SSH for administration, but
> it doesn't support the windows clients coming in with their version of VPN.
> I am going to do a search, but I wanted to get the inside from you folks that
> have done this before.

IIRC, the newer M$ clients have built-in support for PPTPv2
(point-to-point tunneling.protocol version 2).You can setup a PPTP
server on your Linux box. You will need to have PPP already configured.
http://www.poptop.org/
http://home.swbell.net/berzerke/howto.html
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=pptpd&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=pptpd

I believe WinXP/2000 clients also have support for IPSEC using x509
certificates. You will need something like FreeS/WAN for IPSEC support
on your linux box.
http://www.natecarlson.com/linux/ipsec-x509.php
http://www.freeswan.org/

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. -- Nietzsche