[SLUG] hyperthreading

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 14:00:36 EDT

This is a long shot, but what the heck.

I have a new Dell Inspiron 5150 with a "Mobile" P-IV in. The cpuinfo
has the "ht" flag, which AFAICT, means that the chip has the
Hyperthreading stuff in. Except that all the information I've been able
to gather indicates that to enable Hyperthreading on a P-IV CPU that can
do it, you have to enable in the BIOS and this laptop has no BIOS option
for Hyperthreading.

I've tried some of the Linux kernel flags like "acpismp=force" and such,
but no luck. Google searches come up with random bits of mostly
unrelated information here and there. (Linux Hyperthreading docs are
virtually nonexistent. A paragraph in a couple of HOWTOs that mention
you must build with P4, SMP and ACPI support to enable it if the CPU
supports it and that's about it.)

Does anyone know if there is a way to force-enable Hyperthreading under
Linux if there's no BIOS option?

--
"We all enter this world in the    | Support Electronic Freedom
same way: naked; screaming; soaked |        http://www.eff.org/