Re: [SLUG] Reboot or not to reboot...

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 13:44:41 EDT

Ronald KA4INM Youvan wrote:
> As far as I have read, any kernel module (driver) can be added
> to, or removed from your running kernel, but to add a piece of
> hardware I always power the system down, for safety (to hardware)
> reasons, a momentary mismatch to the 50 pin connector could cause
> a system lockup.

IDE is *not* friendly with hot-swapping, but I've swapped my share of
SCSI devices on a chain with few problems. You will need to re-probe the
bus to find/remove devices though, there's a shell script to do that here:
        http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/rescan-scsi-bus.sh

> Adding a CD-RW should not require any driver change, cdrecord
> contains it's own drivers, a table of commands for various
> drives, if you are set up for one CD-RW drive you should be
> set up for any CD-RW drive as long as it's not too new for
> your version of cdrecord. AFAIK

You will need to reprobe the SCSI bus (with the above script) before
using it though.

> Adding a SCSI adapter (card) without powering down is one
> thing I would NEVER do.

The ONLY time when you can do this is on a high-end Intel server with
"hot PCI" slots. On these high-end servers, you can actually power-down
a slot, insert a card, and power it back up again. VERY FEW MOTHERBOARDS
SUPPORT THIS, and mostly only vendor custom server motherboards in
enterprise level hardware.

So, as a rule, always take a box down to insert ANYTHING into a PCI bus.

> If you mess with a worshiped uptime box you are in for
> heart ache. Have one that you turn on and off to WORK with.

This is why I like to buy my servers in pairs. With UML images, it's
trivial to quiesce nodes and move them to one box or the other to
schedule maintenance on a piece of hardware.

>> The only time you have to re-boot in LINUX, other than
>> for a poorly written program, (to re-scan installation files,
>> as winblows does it) is to add a hdc=ide-scsi like command
>> line into the kernel, I don't know any way around that. AFAIK

You can always rmmod/modprobe "ide-scsi", "sr_mod", and "sg" dynamically
without the need to do the above trick. I'm not fond of monolithic
kernels for this very reason. Who really wants to reboot, anyway? ;)

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>
(This message bound by the following: