Re: [SLUG] Fwd: Gartner Warning

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 14:50:28 EDT

On Friday 25 July 2003 12:32 pm, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
> > Yeah, but to counter an organization FUD like Gartner...how do you do
> > that?
> > Issue a press release? How does the Open Source movement get to be an
> > authority of similar stature?
>
> How 'bout a Slashdot interview with Bruce Perens next week?
>
> How 'bout I keep pumping out stories like this one -
> http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/07/19/1713232&tid=4
>
> My average article gets more readers (even among the influential) than
> the average Gartner report.
>
> - Robin

That's right, that's how one does it.

For every FUD we always just announce the truth. As each announcement gets
tested we are continously found more workable and reliable. Slowly more and
more people are finding the Linux experience (more) viable.

The weekly paper eWeek frequently said things that were based on poor
insight into Linux. I always wrote and explained the truth. Now they have
more informed articles. (Obvioulsy more people probably wrote, but the
point being, they have changed.) The attitude of just having
sensationalism, often at our expense is not very visible. They try to give
more insightful articles these days.

My successful actions include:

Write to the editor and author when I don't agree or see a miscolored
article. Always keeping good manners (of course), rudeness will never fly
well with well educated editors. My favorite approach is to make the person
on the other end be part of the solution, on my side. This way they can be
right in trying their best in helping me. Vs being part of the problem and
needing to publicly change to be right and help.

If I'm really pissed I still keep a controlled voice (if on the phone) but I
tell them that I'm very upset (not with them personally) and would like
their help. (After all we are on the same side. :)

--

Steve ________________________________________________ Sigless? Sign here for a free signature!